Considered by many to be the oldest existing building in Longwood, it was originally constructed as a one-room structure and used as a multi-purpose community building. Professor Lynch, a traveling teacher, taught here. The building was intially constructed on the site of the Christ Episcopal Church, a block west of it's present site, it became home to the West Longwood Pioneers and the Self Union. In 1914, the Civic League purchased the building and moved it to it's present location. The original building is behind the central porch addition. The front facing gabled roof additions were added in 1914. The central area was an open porch which was enclosed during the 1950's. In 1998 the Longwood Civic League Woman's Club gave the building to the Central Florida Society for Historic Preservation.
In the mid-1980's, it was renovated for use as an office building. The hotel is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As the City's center and it's most prominent building for over one hundred years, the Longwood Hotel is a mirror of Longwood's history. A wood frame Vernacular Style, decorative features include Italianate Style details, such as eave brackets supporting the roof overhang and pedimented window heads.
In early Longwood Prof. Lynch, a traveling instructor, taught school on a periodic basis, most likely teaching classes in a small building on the grounds of the present Christ Episcopal Church (151 W. Church Ave.). The building was also the settlement's community meeting place, and is probably the oldest building in Longwood.
When Christ Church was built in 1880, the building was moved westward near the intersection of W. Church Ave. and Rangeline Rd., and was used as a chapel. As the West Longwood Chapel, it was the home of The West Longwood Pioneers and The Self Union.
In about 1914, the building was moved by Daniel Clouser, the younger brother of Josiah B. Clouser, to 150 W. Church Ave. for use as the Longwood Civic League Woman's Club, which had been founded in 1911 to do projects in the community that the city government could not afford to do. It was expanded with the addition of a large meeting room with a stage. The original portion is behind the two side additions (added in about 1914) and the center porch addition, originally open but enclosed in the 1950s.
Constructed in Boston by Captain W. Pierce, a sailing ship sea captain, this is probably the oldest prefabricated house in the United States. The house was shipped by steamship to Sanford, mule-carted to Altamonte Springs and reassembled on Boston Avenue in 1873. The ground level was used as a cabinet shop while the family lived upstairs. The house derives its name from the fact that the structural wall studs are exposed on the exterior and finished out on the interior. To prevent demolition, it was moved from Altamonte Springs to Longwood in 1973 by the Central Florida Society for Historic Preservation. This unique house, with elaborate wood detailing on the porch, is open to the public during the week.
This building was moved here from Boston Ave. in Altamonte Springs in 1973, but that was not its first home. It was built in Boston in about 1870 as one of this country's oldest prefabricated structures, permitting its later relocation. It is called "Inside-Outside" because the vertical framing structure is placed on the outside of the exterior horizontal siding, forming panels which are bolted together in shiplap fashion. Inside, the walls are covered with stucco over tongue and groove siding.
In 1873, its builder, Capt. W. Pierce, retired as a sea captain and moved himself and his house to Florida. It was transported by steamship from Boston to Mellonville, where it was transferred to mules for the ride to Altamonte Springs. After it was reassembled, the ground floor served as a cabinet shop, while the family lived upstairs. This is one of the most architecturally unusual buildings in the area.
To protect the home from demolition, it was moved here by the Longwood Historic Society.
Built in 1881
Constructed on property donated by Edward W. Henck, the church was dedicated at Easter services in 1882. The Frederick Rand and J. N. Searcy families were involved in it's leadership for many years. Rand's parents raised funds for construction and contributed the stained glass over the altar. The church underwent a major renovation in 1965. As the oldest church in continuous use in Seminole County, the simple bell tower, symmetrical plan, board and batten wood siding and lack of ornamentation typify this building as an early pioneer structure
The first Episcopal mission in Longwood was established in 1877. This church began as a separate entity in 1879. One of the organizers was Frederic H. Rand, who had come from Boston in 1876 and who had served in the Union army during the Civil War. The organization of the church took place in his home on the west side near Lake Searcy.
Land as a site for the church building was donated by Edward W. Henck. Frederic Rand's parents contributed the stained glass window over the altar and raised money for the construction, which was performed by Rand, John and James Searcy, and others.
The present church was built in 1880 a little to the east of its present site, and was dedicated on Easter Sunday, April 19, 1882. It is the oldest Seminole County church in continuous use. The simple square bell tower, symmetrical plan, board and batten siding, and lack of significant ornamentation mark this as a typical early pioneer structure.
The sanctuary was enlarged in 1964, and in 1965 Searcy Hall was built for classrooms and offices. In 1988, the original church was moved westward to its present location to make room for other church buildings.
Longwood Community Building
Although this building looks old, it was actually built in 2002. It serves today as an events venue and host for many community gatherings.
Its design is obviously inspired by others in the historic district, and it is especially influenced by the Bradlee-McIntyre House.
Built in 1889
Fred J. Niemeyer came to Longwood from Pennsylvania in 1885, at the age of 21. Four years later, he married a daughter of Josiah B. Clouser. Also in 1889, Niemeyer and Clouser built this house, called "Keystone", and the Niemeyers lived in it for many years.
Fred Niemeyer served as a member of Longwood's City Council, worked in Clouser's store (which, by the early 1900s, he owned himself), and in 1905 began a 19-year period as postmaster.
At their home, the Niemeyers raised Golden and White Wyandotte hens for sale and as show birds. In the mid-1920s, Longwood was nationally known as the poultry center of Florida.
This was originally a one-story house, with the Victorian style second story and porch added in 1905. That style had generally fallen out of public favor by 1900.
The core of this house is thought to have been the garage constructed by the Dunbars, owners of 202 Wilma Street, during the 1920's and 1930's. A series of additions and modifications have shaped this building's appearance. The building at the rear was constructed by Josiah Clouser as his cabinet shop and originally faced West Bay Avenue at the end of the 200 block of Wilma Street. In the mid 1930's it was reoriented to face Wilma Street. During the mid 1990's it was moved to it's present location behind 216 West Warren Avenue.
This building was originally constructed in 1885 as Clouser Cabinet Shop 1885.
In 1890 it became Dunbar's Garage, owned by John Dunbar and his daughter, Elsie, who lived next door in the 1920s and 1930s. It was later converted for use as a residence, and modified by a series of additions and alterations.
Today it is a toy and comic shop known as Davey's Toys.
Built in 1885
After living in a cottage at 219 W.Church Ave for three years and constructing numerous buildings for others, Josiah Clouser completed his home which exhibited his skills as a master carpenter. Owned by the Clouser family for many years before being sold, it has since been an antique store and a birthing center. An outstanding example of a wood frame Vernacular Style house, it's Chinese Chippendale porch handrail and spindle work are unusual decorative features.
During the mid-1880s, after building the small cottage at 218 W. Church Ave., Josiah B. Clouser built this larger house for his family. Clouser served as mayor of Longwood for a year at a time during three different decades, and for about 15 years ran a general merchandise store.
The home is built with a Frame Vernacular style with Chinese Chippendale style handrail and spindle work on the porch. The building has since been renovated, was used for a time as an antique store, and for a time housed a birthing center.
Baptist Church Parsonage
The early history of this house is uncertain. It is thought to have been constructed in West Longwood and then moved to serve as the parsonage for the Baptist Church which was located on the adjacent lot. It is known that the house was on this site by 1911. Although the lower pitched roof additions obscure it's form, the L-shaped core of this structure, capped by the higher pitched roof with its central chimney, is the original house
The house was built in 1890. It is thought to have been built in West Longwood and moved to this site by 1911, to be the parsonage for the Baptist Church which was then located next door. The L-shaped portion with the higher pitched roof is the original portion.
In 1911, John Bistline came to Longwood from Pennsylvania to work in Fred Niemeyer's store. He later went to work for W.R. Healey, who owned a number of area squab farms. Healey is credited with originating the idea of sending fresh iced squab from Longwood to northern markets by train.
In 1914, Bistline married Niemeyer's daughter, and the couple moved into this house. Shortly thereafter, they began breeding and selling Silver Wyandotte hens, and continued this into the 1950s. The hens won awards at national competitions, and Mr. Niemeyer became a recognized authority on raising hens for show. He also was a member of the Longwood City Council for 20 years in the 1920s to the 1940s.
Today it serves as Jeffrey J. Bordulis Attorney at Law.
J. A. Bistline House
A simple one-story Bungalow Style structure, this stucco-on-wood frame house exhibits several characteristics typical of this style. Gable roofs with wide overhangs, tapered porch columns on brick masonry piers and three-over-one double-hung windows are all elements of the Bungalow Style. Although the porch has been enclosed, the house basically remains in it's original condition.
This house has several typical Bungalow style features, including stucco over the wood frame, gable roofs with wide overhangs, tapered wood porch columns on brick masonry piers, and three-over-one double hung windows. It was built in about 1920, and the porch has since been enclosed.
242 West Bay Avenue
The history of this house is unknown. It's rectangular plan with a hipped roof, covering the house and front porch, and the central chimney are all that remain of the original house. Much of the horizontal wood siding has been covered with stucco, the original windows have been replaced and the front porch enclosed.
This house was built in about 1920, and about all that remains from then are the rectangular plan, central chimney, and hipped roof covering the house and front porch. Stucco now covers much of the wood siding, the front porch has been enclosed, and the windows have been replaced.
This house was constructed by the Arnetts, using lumber from a twostory house that had been on the lot. Lossie Arnett Cramer and her daughter, Hettie, a Longwood school teacher, lived in the house during the 1920's and 30's. This Vernacular Style house is a modest structure with Bungalow Style details, such as tapered wood columns resting on brick piers, a prominent exterior chimney and exposed roof rafters. It is typical of homes built during the 1910's and early 1920's
This house was built in about 1920, a modest Frame Vernacular structure with Bungalow details, such as tapered wood columns resting on brick piers, exposed roof rafters, and a prominent exterior chimney. Some of the lumber used in the construction of this house was taken from another house previously at this site.
In the 1920s and 1930s, it was occupied by Longwood school teacher Lossie Arnett Cramer and her daughter, Hettie.