Although some reports claim this building was constructed in 1920, those claims are false. It was actually constructed in 1926.
At the height of the real estate boom, Longwood founder Edward Henck teamed up with baseball hall-of-famer turned real estate investor Joe Tinker.
The north end of the building, with its angled front facing the intersection, was the location of the Longwood State Bank. This was the first bank in Longwood, which was a really big deal at the time. However, the bank didn't last long. It went under like so many others during the Great Depression, closing its doors for good in 1932. The vault reported still exists. Today the bank is Connolly's Irish Pub.
The south half of the building as always been subdivided into four separate stores. In the early days those tenants included MacReynolds Drug Store, Jackson's Grocery, and a barber shop. Today the shops include Zanzabar Coffee, Pebble's Flower Shop, and... just like the original... Back to Basics Barber Shop. Up until recently there was also an art studio there, but they relocated to the Le Rue House.
The construction of this building helped mark a turning point in the commercial focus of the city. Previously the business epicenter was Warren Avenue and the railroad. However, what is now Highway 427 (Ronald Reagan Boulevard) was then the Old Dixie Highway (new Dixie Highway was 17-92). With the increasing importance of automobile traffic, this became the main thoroughfare during the Boom Years. The road was an artery connecting Sanford with Orlando and brought in a lot of out-of-town passersby. Coupled with the bank's importance to the surrounding area, this building represented the keynote location and the new center of downtown.
315-323 South County Road 427