This building was constructed in 1887 for use as Kate Beesley's millinery shop, which is to say she was a hat maker. It was purchased George Edward and Hallie LaVigne in 1916 and their descendants lived in the home until the 1990s. The Milwee name on the home today comes because Aldia LaVigne, daughter of George and Hallie, married Rayburn T. Milwee. He of course became a prominent educator, citizen and school superintendent. Today Milwee Middle School is named in his honor.
During the 1920s Boom the simple one-story, rectangular shop was significantly altered to add the second story and the porch. With the additions it matches with the Classical Revival Style.
172 W. Warren Avenue