Josiah B. Clouser
Concern for the health of his wife (Eliza), Josiah B. Clouser moved his family from Pennsylvania to Longwood in 1881. He saw the town in newspaper ads placed by town founder Edward Henck.
He was a master carpenter, who built many of the early Longwood buildings from 1883 onward. The two homes where he lived (Clouser House and Clouser Cottage) still exist today in the central historic district. He also built the Henck House and many other still standing residences in the district.
He built other notable buildings like the Longwood Hotel, Altamonte Chapel (originally Lake Brantley Union Chapel), and the Longwood Schoolhouse that all still exist.
Clouser was involved in local politics. He served terms as alderman and was elected mayor of Longwood three times between 1889 and 1912. From the mid-1890s until about 1910 he operated a general store.
In 2001, Josiah was recognized by the state of Florida as a "Great Floridian" for his pioneering contributions to Central Florida's development.