January 21, 2018 - Quarterly Membership Meeting
Sunday, January 21, 2018 2-4PM at Longwood Historic Civic Center
2PM President Butch Bundy welcomed the 19 members and guest attending, made introductions.
Bev Winesburgh gave the prayer and Kathryn Townsend led the Pledge.
Members enjoyed a delicious selection of soups, sides and desserts for Sunday Luncheon.
A historical presentation was given by Richard Cronin entitled the "Wekiva Misfits" about the individuals responsible for the early development of the area between Sanford and Orlando from 1840-1890.
President's Report by Butch Bundy:
- Festival concession sales -- $1200 in beverages sales over 2.5 days.
- We need to ramp up income opportunities.
- Thanks to Tom Redditt for fixing the broken window from Hurricane Irma damage.
- Butch asked the Insurance Committee to analyze the insurance coverage now that we no longer hold the festival in an effort to decrease the very large annual premiums without putting our assets at risk.
- The Society now depends on fundraising from the monthly car show. It is very important for members to volunteer to assist for the car show concessions.
- Other fundraising options:
- 5K run possibly in October
- Taste of Longwood
- Increased Membership
- Corporate Sponsorships
- The new web site is up with walking tours, access from smart phones, and ability to auto pay for membership. Set up by Jason Byrne should help boost sales and bring Society into the 21st Century. It is at HistoricLongwood.com
- We will launch an effort to educate the new City Commissioners about the Society and all we do for the Historic District.
- Jason Byrne emphasized our need to outreach and increase participation for these future plans.
- Museum Report -- On our museum and invitation to tour, Marla noted how successful the tours have become and how the attendance is increasing all the time as a result of the Facebook page.
- Treasurer's Report: Income $7661.23, Expenses $6885.28 + $775.95 for the period. Balance is $32,018.35
- Secretary's Report -- Presented and approved.
- Membership Report -- Susie Hudson says 6 new members including a Patron turned in today.
- Special Projects:
- 5K -- Jason updated on progress of establishing a route for the 5K and then working with Fleet Feet in Altamonte to promote and execute the event. He will need a committee of volunteers to make it happen.
- Taste of Longwood -- The Society is working with a promoter to secure the restaurants, our members will have to sell the tickets.
- Trustee Report: Included the need to increase rentals, put up drapes in HCC, rework the lights in the HCC, and put in a new floor in the HCC. All await funding. The Bradlee-Mac porch needs wood replacement, gutter installation, and window replacement. We will need cost estimates to determine when these projects can be done.
Next Meeting is Covered Dish, tentatively scheduled for April 15, 2018. Old time casseroles, salads, dessert for Sunday luncheon.
Adjournment was 3:55PM
Submitted by Bev Winesburgh, Secretary, April 8, 2018